Thursday, July 3, 2008

I made it!!!

I'm still in Denver, hating this hospital bed, but glad to be gradually getting rid of the accoutrements of surgery that are tying me down. Whew, does that ever get old, to have to unhook 6 different tubes or lines just to reach the light the last annoying nurse left on when you want to sleep. We're hoping (desperately) for a discharge tomorrow. I know I'm sounding slightly frantic here, but somehow these places make me terribly nervous. I don't know what it is except maybe that business of getting clots in my lungs last time I was in a place like this, but I feel like the longer I stay, the worse I'll get, so I'm anxiously awaiting my first breath of non-hospital air, even if it is full of Denver's smog.

All went as expected though: every single test we had got lost and had to be repeated, all scheduled procedures were late, the doctors never showed up, the nurses were clueless, the nurse's aides were worthless ....
No, no, no I'm kidding!. (Those things only happened about half the time.) :)
Can you tell I hate hopsitals...

Anyway, quick report on things: They placed the weird little filter on Tuesday before surgery, but then just took it out again today. Evidently I don't have any genetic coagulation issues that are permanent, so the filter didn't have to be permanent either. The surgery went well I guess. Pretty weird, I'll admit, to go in with a chest and come out with incisions in their place, but my dear doctor is going to fix me up to look pretty normal. He promises me this. And of course I have no option but to trust him. Which I shall.

Mom has had her usual fun with the camera so I shall post some photos. The 'raggedy-ann' hat was a gift from a nurse whose mother crochets them. I find it rather atrocious (I hope she doesn't discover this blog someday. OOPS.) but I wore it for a change once in awhile. And to make the nurse feel good.


My healthcare team:



And the stunning view. (ha) Sorry Denver-ites. I much prefer the view back home.


Thanks all you dear, dear friends for the emails and calls that brought tears to my eyes because they were so heartfelt. Erk - I'm at it again. Just the thought of all of you out there thinking of us, worrying about us , praying for us, sends my thankfulness meter skyrocketing and makes me teary all over again. We need you and appreciate your care more than you can know!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Well, golly...you look GREAT!! A little overly dressed (bundled up, I mean), but I'm sure that the AC is keeping things quite chilly in there! :) But you really DO look good, Michelle! Any time I've come out of surgery, I've looked half dead for the LONGEST time! Maybe it's that wonderful Denver view that's putting rosiness in your cheeks! ;-) No, really, I'm sure it's more like the "recovery team" that's doing that. :)

THANK YOU for the update!! And don't worry...we're ALL rooting for you DAILY! Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you survived your "health care" again!! :) You know that they say.... health care professionals "practice" medicine. :) Hmmmmm.....since you and I both worked in the field, I guess we should know?? :) Great you had family there to help fill in the gaps. Anyway, we're glad it's done and you'll soon be home. Love, Carol

Mama Moe said...

So glad to hear your update. It'll be so nice to recover outside of the hospital! We'll be thinking about you all in the coming days of healing.

With love,
Eric and Nicole

Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you too...hoping you get out of that city as soon as possible! Hay fields will have never looked/smelled so good! Hope you get feeling as good as new soon!

ant Vik said...

Good to hear things are going well. I know what you mean about wanting out of those places, but we all hope they don't jump the gun at sending you home either.

Our hearts and prayers go out to you and the whole family!!

Love ya

Mimi/Susan said...

Thanks for posting an update! I hope you were out of the hospital in time to eat a grilled burger and watch fireworks on the 4th. Sounds pretty ambitious for a 4 day post-op gal but you sure were anxious to break out of that joint!

The J's said...

So happy to hear you're through that one now, and hope you're back home now where you can "really recover"! Glad the hospitals are there...but the sooner out the better!! wishing you GOOD days ahead!