Friday, June 27, 2008

Just some words and thoughts and pictures

Convention is over... yes, for nearly a week now, but we're still basking in the post-convention peace. Thank goodness for those days. We love our home and we love our life, but it's amazing how easy it is to put it aside, to care about it FAR less after just a single hour in that precious place. Good lesson there, I'd say.

To all of you who commented, emailed, or contacted us at convention - thank you! Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement. As you know, we are preparing for surgery again, this time without Andy at my side as there's simply no way he can be away from home right now. Haying is crazy-busy, which of course is a good thing, but it'll sure be lonely coming out of anesthesia without him there. He's the best nurse in the world. NO exaggeration.

I am so proud and happy about our growing things this year. It's been an absolute joy to get out of bed, grab a cup of coffee and head out to weed the garden, water the flowers, plant some new ones, mow the lawn ... Ah - I love it. It's just so nice to feel up to doing all of this. And last year we had such an awful time with things - - between the heat, poor soil and our bad water, things didn't do so well. So that's why it's extra-special to have some good greenery and the prospect of a harvest. Here are some pics. First of all, Tommy doing his pose for the Tomcat of the Year:
(Okay all you folks out there with the "Spay And Neuter Your Pets" bumper stickers, he is NOT a tomcat, it just sounded a lot better than 'Tommy doing his pose for "Genderless Cat of the Year"'. )







Not the greatest shot of the lilacs, as it was a cloudy day, but I just love them. And they bloomed until June 18th this year because it was so much cooler. In fact, some that are in the shade are still in bloom, albeit not as full or beautiful, but nevertheless still lavendar and smile-provoking. :)



The hostas are thriving. (Now that Popsicle got put out to pasture and quit chomping them down.)


The peppers are coming!
And tomatoes too!




And this is how Tiffany solved our bad soil problem. With raised beds! How cool is this!?



I'll post some info about the surgery as soon as I'm able. Keep your fingers crossed that that's really, really soon after surgery. :)

13 comments:

Jen said...

I *will* be thinking of you!!!! Maybe you could give your blogger password to your mom or Tiffany and they could do an update FOR you if you're not feeling 100%. I'll be waiting to hear how things go! Please remember that you're in my thoughts and prayers! Love ya!

Renee said...

How FUN to see all the beautiful pictures...I love to see things grow, too. For me, it is flowers, I just don't do gardens very well. I have a hard time getting enthused. Your tomatoes look amazing already this early in the season!

Wow, M...it WILL be tough to be without your Andy, but I know how demanding haying is, and I can see there's no options. It's gonna rip him up not to be there, too! Well, I won't ramble longer...just know you will be wrapped in lots of thoughts and love from our corner of the planet!

Anonymous said...

Good morning! I loved your post and all the beautiful pictures of the flowers and vegetables. I agree with you completely about the joy and relaxation that comes with gardening - there's nothing like it! I am amazed at how big your tomatoes are already - I noticed the first blooms on my tomato plants yesterday.

I thought of you lots during convention and knew you were having great days - it's so wonderful we have those privileges. Thinking of you so much as your surgery approaches and wishing I was more skilled in the haying world and could come help so Andy could be with you. It will be hard for both of you not to be together - but glad to think of your nurse that will be waiting when you get back home! :)

Hugs and much love, Mo

Anonymous said...

Dearest Michelle and Andy
It was good to see you at cnovention if only for a bit. We will be with you both in thots and prayers as you go thro this next step in the road to beating your cnacer
Retha

Anonymous said...

oops looks like I can't spell
Retha

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm way behind on blogs and e mails. Nice to catch up on yours. Your garden and plants look beautiful! We will see you in meeting tomorrow before you're off to Denver. It means so much to believe in your Dr.s, and I'm glad you've found good ones. Love, Bonnie

Mimi/Susan said...

So glad that you left us a note before your surgery. I tremble for you and feel bad that you won't have your "busom buddy":)with you, but you will have lots of prayers and thoughts hovering around your bed. Look forward to a post-surgical update!

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I'll be thinking of you and hoping you'll have a fast recovery from surgery. I check in every once in awhile just to see the beautiful pictures that you share with everyone. They are soooo awesome, thanks! Hope all goes well. Chari Martin

ant Vik said...

Michelle,
Thanks for putting into words what we feel after conventions. Just seems like the things of this old world don't quite hold the same appeal. I remember hearing someone say that the days after convention when you could sit and ruminate on what you had heard, were some of the best. Of course we all love the peace that we feel at convention too.
It is a beautiful year, with the flowers and fields so green. I took a few pictures in PA of the Dogwood blooming. Well, my kids said I was too busy taking pictures of flowers and didn't get enough of people. :-)
I will be thinking of you too, and hoping everyting will go well for you. Wish we could help with the haying too. Know our love and prayers are with you both.

Anonymous said...

What a thorougly enjoyable blog....what great pictures. What fun it would be to be a photographer!!! Our thoughts go your way as you prepare for surgery again. I'm sorry that Andy can't be with you...hopefully you will have the next best substitute with you. Wishing you the best. Linda

Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you. Words not necessary when you know the love and support and prayers we all have for you. You are the best!!
Love, Kathy C

The J's said...

Thinking of you & sending you healing wishes! Beautiful pictures as usual. We're loving all the green we have because of the rain. Luckily not too much here.
Thanks again for your inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I don't know, Michelle. "Tommy the genderless cat" is about the funniest caption I've seen in awhile!:) Poor Tommy - he'd not appreciate that I'm sure!

Wowzers --- for you and Andy to go through something like surgery having to be apart, that will be hard on you both I imagine! Wonder if his winrows can possibly be straight?? I bet he's only in his tractor physically - the rest is with you!
We're all thinking of you SOOOOO much and hope that it's all going well. By this time you should be done with surgery and I just wanted to send a big hug to you! And to your Mom - I'm so glad she can be there with you! Love to all of you! Hope you're headed home soon to enjoy your lovely life with your husband and your garden, flowers, and pets!!